St. Augustine's Seminary of Toronto

Study Permits and Temporary Resident Visas - International Students

Please Note: Applicants for the Seminary Formation Program must first apply and be accepted formationally before they can apply to the academic program.
Anyone wishing to study in Canada who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident must obtain a Study Permit and in some cases a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) before entering Canada. Prospective students should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate as soon as they receive their offer of admission.

You will need the following documentation:

  • offer of admission to the St. Augustine's Seminary and information about the expected time needed to complete the program;
  • evidence of adequate funds; (cost of tuition, plus at least $10 000 per year for single students; an additional $4000 with a spouse; $3000 for each additional dependent. Note: although these amounts may be sufficient to obtain a Study Permit, most students find that they do not sufficiently cover the cost of living in Toronto.)
  • proof of medical clearance (depending on country of residence).
  • any other documentation requested by the issuing office.

Based on the provision of this documentation, Canadian immigration authorities will issue a Study Permit and where necessary a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa). This process, in particular the medical clearance, can be very time-consuming. You should therefore apply for a Study Permit as soon as you receive notification of your acceptance from the university. Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until you have received confirmation from the University of Toronto that you have been admitted and until you have obtained your Study Permit and, if necessary, Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa). It is not possible to change from visitor status to student status within Canada.

US APPLICANTS: We recommend that citizens and permanent residents of the United States apply for a Study Permit from immigration authorities at the border or point of entry when they enter Canada.

Application forms and guidelines for the initial Study Permit can be downloaded from the CIC website at

More details about Immigration procedures are available on the University of Toronto’s Centre for International Experience website:

Academic Required Documents

All students must have official transcripts sent directly to St. Augustine’s Seminary. It is important to inform international students that it is to their advantage to contact their post-secondary institutions while they are still in their home country.

In addition, international students must provide further documentation about their post-secondary institutions. In most cases, international students who receive Bachelor degrees from Universities and/or Colleges outside North America are required to present supporting documentation about the Faculty and Course Curriculum. Faculty credentials include the degrees obtained and courses taught. Detailed course descriptions and credit semester hours are valuable; a prospectus or bulletin of the institution should contain the necessary information.

The supporting documentation as well as the Official Transcripts should be signed and/or sealed by the institution and sent directly to St. Augustine’s Seminary to the attention of the Registrar.

All changes to immigration status should be reported to the Registrar.

Fees for international students are available on the Fees and Financial Aid page on this website.

Return to the top